Do you want to connect your Xbox 360 controller to your PC but don’t have the receiver? No problem! You have three options to choose from. In this blog post, we will go over each of them and show you how to do it. So whether you’re using a wired or wireless controller, we’ve got you covered. Let’s get started!
You have three options to choose from when it comes to connecting an Xbox 360 to your PC without a receiver.
You can connect through wires
The easiest way to connect your Xbox 360 controller to your PC is via wires or cables. The method is quite easy to complete and without any hassle. Here are the steps to follow to connect your Xbox 360 controller to your PC via wires or cables –
- First, locate the USB port on your PC and insert the Xbox 360 controller into that particular USB port.
- After that, the controller will take care of the rest. It will get recognized automatically by your PC and the required compatible drivers will be downloaded.
- Once the download is finished, you will get a notification that the connection is successful.
- Now, you can play games using your Xbox 360 controller on your PC
Purchase Microsoft Xbox Package
Purchasing a Microsoft Xbox Package is an expensive and a little complicated way to go to connect your Xbox 360 controller to your PC. This is the case because of all the accessories you will need to complete the connection process. So, this method is appropriate if you don’t have an Xbox already or there is no point in purchasing a second one just to play games on your PC.
You can purchase the Microsoft Xbox Package for Windows and it will come with all the accessories. Further, it will compatible with every version of Windows. You won’t face any issue with the Microsoft Xbox package when it comes to connection, unlike other traditional controllers. So, you can connect it to your PC wirelessly and play your favorite games.
The connection process is rather easy and straightforward. But, you are already an owner of an old Xbox, you might want to sell it before getting a new one.
Purchase an Adaptor
If the purchase of a Microsoft Xbox Package is too expensive for you, you can get an inexpensive third-party adaptor or receiver. The adaptors from Microsoft come with the Microsoft Xbox package and they are not sold separately.
Before purchasing any third-party adapter or receiver to connect your Xbox 360 controller to your PC, make sure you do your research properly about the device. There are many low-quality adapters available in the market that look exactly like Microsoft adapters but perform badly.
You can check the reviews and ratings of the product to make an informed and wise decision. You can also check eBay for an orphaned Microsoft Xbox adapter.
Connecting Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver to your PC
The method of connecting a Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless receiver to a PC differs depending on the version of the Windows OS installed on the PC. Nevertheless, the overall process is quite simple and easy to follow and you will get it done in no time.
Installing Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless receiver on Windows 8 and 10
The installation process on Windows 8 and 10 is rather easy for Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless receivers as they do not pose an issue.
- You will need to plug the Xbox receiver (USB) into the USB port on your PC
- Your PC will detect the device automatically and you do not have to do anything. Just sit back and wait for the process to complete.
- Your PC will download all the required drivers automatically and you will be notified once the installation process is over. You can now play your games on your PC using the Xbox 360 controller.
- To confirm that the connection is successful you can follow the following steps to check –
- On your PC, go to the Start Menu and search for “Device Manager” in the search bar provided at the bottom
- Here, you will see the “Xbox 360 Wireless receiver for Windows”
- This confirms that the installation process was a success.
Installing Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless receiver on Windows 7 and earlier
The process differs on Windows 7 and lowers from that on Windows 8 and 10 because the download of the relevant drivers does not start automatically and you will have to do it yourself manually. Nevertheless, you can follow these steps to install Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless receiver on your Windows 7 or lower version –
- Start with connecting the receiver or the adaptor to the PC via the USB port
- A wizard will open on the screen which will tell you to move into your Operating System
- You can click on the automatic installation option if your Windows has all the relevant files. The wizard will proceed further and will install all the drivers successfully.
- If your Windows does not have all the relevant files then there are a few extra things you will have to do
- You can use the Compact Disc (CD) that came in the box of the Microsoft Xbox package. Simply insert the CD into the CD ROM and download all the drivers for the controller on your PC manually.
- Another way to go will be to install the drivers from the Microsoft website directly. You will need to visit the official web page of the drivers on the Microsoft website and find the drivers for your Xbox receiver.
- Once you find them, you can start downloading them one by one.
- Your Windows will give you a notification once the connection is successful.
- You can follow the verification process to confirm the same
- Go to the “Device Manager” option on your Windows PC and look for the drivers that you have installed recently.
- If the installation is successful, you will see the “pair controller to PC” command
- You can click on this option and your Xbox 360 controller will be connected to your PC
Installing a Third-party Xbox 360 Receiver on your PC
If you are planning to install a third-party Xbox receiver on your PC, you will need to follow a rather complex process because you will be installing basically a duplicate version of the Microsoft Xbox receiver on your PC. Once the installation is completed, there is not much to worry about as it will work just fine.
The steps are the same for all the versions of Windows. Take extra caution while following these steps –
Install the Xbox drivers on your PC for the third-party receiver
Before installing the third-party receiver for your Xbox 360 on your PC, you will need to install all the required drivers on the PC. Here are the steps for the same –
- First, locate the USB port on your PC and insert the third party adapter into the port
- Go to the search bar on the Start Menu of your Windows and search for “Device Manager”
- Once “Device Manager” opens up, click on the “Other Devices” option
- Next, click the “Unknown Device” option and then click on the “Update Driver Software” option
- A pop-up window will appear on your PC Screen saying “Browse my Computer”. Click on that particular option
- After that click on the “Let me pick from a list of device drivers” option
- Once you click that, you will see a list of devices. You need to choose “Xbox 360 peripherals” from that list
- Finally, a list will appear which will contain all the models. You need to select the latest one and then click on the “Yes” option to start the installation process.
Connect the Xbox Controller to your PC
Now, it is time to sync the Xbox Controller to your PC:
- First, click the “Pair” button on the receiver and then connect the button to the controller
- Next, on your Xbox controller, press the “guide button”
- If the green backlight turns on, it indicates that your controller is connected to your PC and you can play your games.
Here is another smart way to verify the connection:
- In the search bar of the “Start Menu”, search for “game controller” on your PC
- Find the “Set up USB Game Controller” option
- Make sure it is functioning properly. You can play via the pads, sticks, and triggers to verify it
- If all of your moves are detected then it means the connection is successful
- Your controller is all set up to play games
Note – you should not unplug the receiver until it is absolutely necessary as you will have to repeat the steps again if you want to plug in the receiver. So, keep the receiver plugged in to avoid any hassle in the connection.
Guide to Buying an Xbox Receiver
You can opt for one out of the three options for buying a good Xbox Receiver.
The First Option
You can go ahead and purchase the original Microsoft Xbox package. It is readily available online on the Microsoft store or other online marketplace. You can also find it in the local electronic stores. The prices can go up to $60 for the same.
If you already own an Xbox controller, you will need to purchase the receiver or adaptor only. You can sell the rest of the accessories online. This way you can get a genuine adapter without any fuss and risk.
The Second Option
You can purchase an orphaned Microsoft Xbox receiver or adapter online from reselling sites like eBay. You can get a good adaptor for $15 to $20. The only risk you will have to bear is that the seller won’t be a trustworthy one and it won’t be a sealed pack receiver. This puts a question mark on the originality of the product.
However, the following tricks can help you from getting robbed while purchasing from an unknown seller –
- Find an adaptor that comes bundled with the driver disk and manual. The CDs and booklets will ensure that you are getting an original orphaned adapter. So, there is a strong chance that you will get a genuine product.
- Read all the customer’s reviews and check the ratings. You will get a general idea about the product regarding its genuineness.
- Try to find a seller that offers a refund or replacement if the adaptor does not work for you.
- If you are purchasing a refurbished adapter from Amazon, make sure it is fulfilled by Amazon. This way you can return the device if it turns out to be fake or damaged and get a full refund.
- You can ask the seller for snapshots of the adapter before purchasing it. You can then compare those snapshots with the design and labels of the original Microsoft adaptor.
- You will find a label that will say “ Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless for Windows” on the back and a “Microsoft” label on the front of an original product. If there is something missing or redundant, the product is likely to be a rip-off or fake.
The Third and Final Option
You can purchase a third-party adaptor at a decent price if you are not willing to purchase an orphaned one or sell new accessories. You can find these adaptors at your nearest electronic stores, Amazon, and other online marketplaces.
The only disadvantage with third-party adapters is that they take more time and effort to connect to your PC and you will have to start the connection process all over again if you disconnect it from the USB port of your PC. You can look for the “X360 or PC Wireless gaming receiver” tag on the sync button. These are usually labeled on third-party products.