- The Chamberlain MyQ garage opener must be connected to a Wi-Fi network in order to be controlled by Google Assistant.
- Ensure a robust Wi-Fi connection in your garage.
Setting Up Your MyQ Device
- Download the “MyQ” app from your device’s app store.
- Launch the app and create a MyQ account using your email and a secure password.
- Follow in-app prompts to connect your MyQ-enabled device.
- Test the garage door controls through the MyQ app to ensure it’s working correctly.
Connecting MyQ to Google Assistant
Option 1 – MyQ Google Assistant Subscription Service
- Open Google Assistant.
- Access the “Compass” located at the bottom right.
- Search for “MyQ” and select it from the results.
- Click “Link” and provide your MyQ credentials to enable Google Assistant control over your MyQ devices.
Step 2: Activate the MyQ Google Assistant Subscription
- Visit the MyQ website at https://www.myq.com/google-assistant.
- Navigate down and select “Activate Subscription.”
- Log in to your MyQ account and complete the activation process.
After activation, use voice commands like:
“OK Google, ask MyQ to close the garage door.” “OK Google, ask MyQ if the garage door is open.”
Option 2 – Integrating MyQ with Google Assistant using IFTTT
IFTTT (If This Then That) provides a more streamlined voice command experience with Google Assistant and MyQ. However, it won’t allow you to check the garage door’s status.
Steps to Establish Connection:
- Log in to IFTTT and initiate a new applet creation.
- Select “Explore” on the upper right, then click “Create” beside “Make Your Own From Scratch.”
- For the IF Trigger, click the + Sign.
- Search and choose Google Assistant.
- Opt for the “Say a Simple Phrase” trigger.
- Input a voice command like “Close Garage”.
- For the THEN THAT Action, click the + Sign.
- Search and select MyQ.
- Opt for the “Close Door” action and specify your garage door.
- Name your IFTTT MyQ Applet and finalize its creation.
After this, you can command: “OK Google, close garage,” and IFTTT will execute the action without needing you to specify “Ask MyQ.”
- MyQ does not permit opening the garage door using voice for safety purposes.
- If voice-controlled opening is essential for you, consider the NEXX Smart Garage Opener, which offers compatibility with Google Assistant, Alexa, and Siri.
In conclusion, while Chamberlain’s MyQ garage door opener does not directly support Google Home, it can be integrated with Google Assistant for voice-controlled operations. This setup primarily facilitates the closing of the garage door through voice commands.