There is no direct way to cast your Xbox console to your Oculus Quest 2 headset whereas you can connect it with smart TVs using Chromecast or firestick. Nevertheless, we do have a couple of proven ways to do that.
Also See: How to stream Oculus Quest to PC with Sound?
Xbox One is one of the most popular Gaming Consoles from Microsoft. Xbox One is a powerhouse when it comes to entertainment as it allows you to run your favorite applications directly from the console. It is accessorized with wireless controllers and backward compatibility for 360-degree games.
Since its release, Oculus Quest 2 has received huge popularity in the gaming and streaming fraternity with improved features over its predecessor Oculus Quest. Evidently, it is more affordable, responsive, and packs in a lot of newer features with an improved refresh rate and Oculus Touch controllers.
For instance, connecting Oculus Quest 2 with Xbox will simply double up the fun if we could just stream the Xbox console to our Oculus Quest 2 VR headsets.
Casting oculus quest 2 to Xbox one via AirServer.
AirServer is the casting software for Xbox One. Previously, it didn’t have cast support for Oculus devices but with an update it received in February 2020, it can now cast Xbox one content to Oculus Quest VR headset. Here are steps to perform this:
Step 1. You can download the AirServer application from the Xbox Store at $19.99. You will get a week for trial so that you make sure it works fine before you pay for it.
Step 2. Open the app and disable Airplay and Miracast options. And make sure only the Google Cast option is enabled. This has been recommended by Developers for optimal performance.
Step 3. Make sure that your Xbox One and Oculus Quest 2 are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Step 4. On the Oculus Quest 2 headset, go to Sharing and select the Cast option. You should be able to see the Xbox One (Chromecast) option. Select it and you’re ready to play!!
Casting oculus quest 2 to Xbox one Via Side-loading
What is Side-loading?
Side-loading basically means you can install and run applications on your devices that have not been authorized or approved by the Oculus app store. Moreover, it is safe to side-load with Oculus Quest 2.0 as long as the APKs and EXEs are from trusted sites.
The sideloading can be performed via streaming services which allows you to sideload your beloved Xbox One content to your Oculus Quest 2.0 without having a virtual desktop.
Does Oculus 2 allow sideloading?
Sideloading is an integral part of the game development process. Subsequently, Oculus allows sideloading which facilitates the alpha and beta test of the device itself. Turns out, there is no other way besides sideloading for developers to test their applications and other contents. But, one has to keep in mind that the policy for sideloading is strict. For instance, you cannot sideload a crack version of apps that are already present on the app store, or else your account will get terminated automatically.
Methods for Sideloading Oculus 2
Sideloading Oculus 2 Via SideQuest
SideQuest is open-source software available on Github. Evidently, it is a developer’s delight for showcasing games and applications online and perform alpha and beta tests of those apps and games. The installation might be time-consuming but it is worth the effort. There are three major steps.
1. Installing SideQuest on your PC
- Go to https://github.com/the-expanse/SideQuest and download the latest version of SideQuest that is compatible with your device.
- A windows notification pops up saying “Windows protected your PC.” Click on “More info” and then select “Extract”.
- Open the extracted folder and find “SideQuest-win32-x64”
- Double click on “SideQuesr.exe”
2. Unlock Developer Mode on Oculus Quest 2.0
- Select “Settings” and go to “Oculus Quest 2.0” on the Oculus application on your phone
- Toggle on the “Developer Mode”. Thus launches a website.
- Scroll down and select “ Create an organization”. Log in with your Oculus credentials and enter the organization’s name, which can be anything you like.
- Select submit and agree to the terms of the agreement.
- Now, open the Oculus app again and go to settings and Choose your preferred Oculus headset device.
- Go to “More settings” and then choose “Developer Mode” and toggle it ON.
3. Connect Oculus Quest 2.0 and SideQuest
- Connect your Oculus Quest 2.0 to your PC.
- Select “Connect device” in SideQuest and then wear your headset device.
- Allow “ USB debugging” and check “Always allow from this computer.”
- Select “Install App Launcher” on SideQuest on your PC
- You will now find the “Unknown Sources” folder in your Oculus Quest library where you can find all the games and apps that you have sideloaded. Now you can sideload Xbox one’s content and have fun.
Sideloading Oculus 2 Via OneCast
OneCast boasts zero lag for even an HD video and it supports a wide range of platforms or devices. Thus, it allows you to stream your Xbox One titles through its application.
Steps to connect Oculus to Xbox One
- Open Xbox’s setting and click on “Preferences”. In there select ‘Xbox App Connectivity”.
- Toggle the ‘Allow connection from any device’ to ON. Then turn on ‘Allow game streaming to other devices.
- Connect your PC to your Oculus Quest 2.0.
- Download the latest version of Onecast’s android version from one cast. me/download/
- Drag and drop the app on the SideQuest installed on your PC
- Disconnect your headset from your PC and Go to Oculus TV on your headset interface and find One cast.
- Click on the OneCast application and log in with your Xbox profile credentials.
- Click “Play” and Voila!!! Enjoy!!
What can you do now that Xbox One and Oculus Quest 2.0 are connected?
- You can load Xbox titles and start playing them
- You can load custom content installations for certain games
- You can play Virtual reality Games and Stream them.
- You can also devour games that are restricted in your region
- Since Oculus Quest 2.0 takes care of the audio, you are going to have a blast for sure.
Both, Oculus Quest 2.0 and Xbox One are delighted when it comes to entertainment and gaming. Thus, it is a fruitful endeavor to explore unorthodox ways to connect them and enjoy them together. Turns out, Sideloading is just the skill you need. Nevertheless, make sure the apps you are about to sideload are from safe websites, or else it can be a disaster. Happy Gaming fellas!!