You can follow this step-by-step guide to install the Discord app on your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and stream content from your VR to Discord.
There is no official or suggested method to download and install the Discord app on your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset. But, we do have two hacks or workarounds that will allow you to download and install the Discord app on your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset.
You can easily follow any of the two methods as per your liking and start using Discord with your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset pretty soon.
- You will have to activate the Developer Mode on your Oculus account and Oculus app (on your Android or iOS smartphones) before starting Sideloading via SideQuest.
- You can go here (Oculus Developer Dashboard) and register yourself as a developer.
- You will have to log in with your Oculus Credentials and then click on the “Create a New Organization” option to start
- Now, you can enter any name as your organization’s name in the field. Don’t think much about the name now as you can always change it in the future to a better name.
- Next, click on the “I Understand” tab and then click on the Submit option.
- Now, you will have to go to the Oculus app installed on your smartphone (iOS or Android) and tap on the settings provided in the bottom right part of the app screen,
- Next, tap on your particular Oculus Quest 2 VR headset’s name from the list of available devices. It will get connected to the app.
- Once connected, tap on the “More Settings” option given below the name of your Oculus Quest 2 device
- You will see the “Developer Mode” Option. You can slide the slider to enable the Developer mode on the following screen.
- Once the Developer mode is enabled, you can confirm the same on your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset (in the VR interface) by clicking on the Developer option provided in the Settings Menu.
ADB Drivers are essential software that allows your Windows PC to connect to your Android device and communicate. It supports debugging and many other developer functions. Hare, it is required for the smooth running of the SideQuest app.
- You can go HERE and download the ADB drivers. Do not forget to check or tick the small box before downloading.
- Once the ADB Drivers are downloaded, you will have to extract the Zip Folder. When all the files are extracted, find the executable (.exe) file and double click on it to run it.
- Once the installation is over, you will see a pop-up saying “ The operation is completed successfully”.
- Next, you will have to reboot your PC.
- Now, it is time to connect your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset to your PC using the USB Type-C connector or the Oculus Link Cable.
- When connected, you will see a notification appearing in the VR headset (when you wear it) asking “Allow USB Debugging”.
- Tick the box that says “Always allow for this computer”
- You can go HERE to download the latest version of the SideQuest app which is most compatible with your version of Windows.
- When the download is completed, install the app on your Windows PC
- Once the SideQuest app is installed, launch the software on your PC. Make sure that Oculus Quest 2 VR headset is connected to your PC when you launch the SideQuest app.
- You can confirm the same when the red light on the top left corner of the application window changes to green. When the headset is not connected, the light is red. You will also be able to see the name of your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and the IP address of your connection mentioned there.
- Now, you can either create a new account for SideQuest using the app or log in with your Oculus or Facebook login credentials.
- Click Here and download the APK file for the Discord application on your Windows PC. Make sure the APK version you downloaded is the latest one.
- Once the Discord APK file is downloaded, you can go to the SideQuest app window. You will find an “envelope with a download sign” icon in the primary toolbar given at the top of the app window. You will see an info box saying “install APK from a folder on the Computer”. Click on it.
- Locate the Discord APK file in the explorer window and click open
- The APK will take a couple of seconds to install. You can check the installation progress by clicking on the red symbol on the primary toolbar with the number 1 written on it
- Now, wear your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and on the main bar of the virtual screen, click on the square icon. All the apps are located here.
- Click on the box saying “All” at the top right corner. You will see a list of sources
- Click on the “Unknown Sources” option by scrolling down. You will find the Discord app there
- Sign in with your Discord account credentials and you are good to go
- You need to allow Discord to use your Microphone when a prompt or notification pops up.
Things you will need –
- A PC compatible with VR
You can download the SteamVR Performance app and run it. It will let you know whether your PC is built for VR or not.
- Oculus Quest 2 VR headset
- USB Type C cable or Oculus Link cable
- You can go HERE and download the latest version of Oculus Quest 2 PC software
- Once the package is downloaded, go ahead and install it on your PC
- Launch the application after the installation completes and log in with your Oculus or Facebook account credentials.
- Put on your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and head over to the store. Search for the Virtual Desktop app
- Once you find it, purchase and install it on your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset. The cost is around $19.99 in the USA.
- You can visit the Virtual Desktop streamer website by clicking HERE
- Download the free Streamer app that is compatible with the OS on your PC or computer
- This app is necessary for the wireless streaming of your VR content on your PC
- Once the app is installed, launch it and enter your Oculus Username.
- To find your Oculus Username, go to the Oculus Quest 2 app on your PC and you will find the “Friends” option in the bottom left corner of the app window.
- You will see your Oculus Username below your Profile picture or avatar on the Friends window
- Make sure options like “Stream Audio”, “Mute Computer Speakers”, and “Use Virtual Audio Drivers” are checked or ticked.
- Make sure that the Virtual Desktop Streamer app is opened on your computer.
- Now, put on your Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and open the virtual desktop app that you purchased earlier. (at times a pending update might commence automatically)
- Now, your desktop will get connected to your VR headset and your computer screen will appear in the VR interface on your headset
- Now, launch your favorite browser (Chrome and Edge recommended) and go to the Discord Website.
- Log in with your Discord credentials and your content will start streaming.