Hey there! Looking for a portable mobile broadband deal? Or the best MiFi deal in the UK? Well, you have landed in the right place. This article will provide you with the best contemporary MiFi deals in the UK. Furthermore, your most frequently asked questions about MiFi will be answered too.
Best MiFi Deals available in the UK
These are the best MiFi deals on offer in 2021 in the UK.
- Three Huawei E5783B 4G Plus MiFi
The MiFi deals from Three are the most affordable ones and it’s impossible to overlook them. The device offered is Huawei 4G Plus MiFi which is one of the best MiFi devices out there.
- The Huawei E5783B-230 device is easy to connect and set up.
- Huawei 4G Plus MiFi comes with a great battery life
- With Three’s strong 4G network, it provides you with fast mobile broadband with an average download speed of 50 to 100 Mbps.
- The download speed is intact even with multiple devices hooked to the hotspot network at once.
- There are multiple mobile broadband options to choose from for the MiFi device and the cost is reasonable.
- Easy to set up and use
- Fast network
- The MiFi router sends out signals only at a frequency of 2.4 GHz which is not the strongest signal out there. It won’t be able to pass through multiple walls.
- Device Plus Unlimited data – £22 per month
- Device Plus 40 GB of data – £17 per month
- Device Plus 10 GB of data – £12 per month
Note- The length of the contract to avail of the deals above is 24 months and the upfront charge is £0 for all the deals.
- EE 4GEE WiFi Mini 2020
EE is one of the best network providers in the UK. They have a greater reach in rural and remote areas of the country where it is difficult to get 4G signals from other network providers. The MiFi device offered by EE is called 4GEE WiFi Mini.
- The device is of great quality and connects up to 64 devices at once without compromising the strength of the signal and speed of the internet.
- The WiFi signal range is 30 meters which are amazing for a pocket-sized mobile broadband device
- The device EE 4GEE WiFi Mini comes with a LAN port. So, you can connect your computer or Xbox/Playstation with an ethernet wire to get better speed and reliable connection. This feature is unique and there are no other MiFi devices in the market to offer such an advantage
- There is a wider range of deals that you can choose from for this mobile router. You can opt for a “pay as you go” plan or commit to a 24-month contract to cut off the upfront cost and reduce the monthly charge
- EE also offers an unlimited data plan with this device
- Excellent coverage
- Flagship device
- Can connect up to 64 devices simultaneously
- Comes with an ethernet port
- Pricier device and broadband plans
- For 24 months of contract with zero upfront cost
- 10 GB/mo – £15/mo
- 4 GB/mo – £13/mo
- 40 GB/mo – £20/mo
- 100 GB/mo – £40/mo
- Unlimited – £50/mo
- For “pay as you go plan” with £40 upfront cost
- 4GB – £15/mo
- 10GB – £17/mo
- 40GB – £22/mo
- 100GB – £45/mo
- Unlimited – £55/mo
- O2 Huawei 5G Pocket Hotspot Pro
O2 is popular for its expensive MiFi devices and routers. And this device manufactured by Huawei is no exception. This is on the list because it is the only broadband service provider that offers a 5G MiFi deal in the UK.
- The maximum speed with this device from Huawei goes up to 1.65 Gbps. This is only in the areas where 5G coverage is available. If not, then the speed drops to a 4G-speed which is much slower.
- The device offers wireless charging for your mobile phone and comes with a USB port to charge other devices.
- You get to create your mobile broadband data package. The only company to allow so. You can also get unlimited data with the device.
- This is the fastest MiFi device in the UK
- Can charge your other devices as well
- Custom broadband plans
- Very expensive
- Contract of 36 months with Zero upfront cost
- 15GB – £24.95/mo
- 50GB – £31.95/mo
- 150GB – £35.95/mo
- Vodafone R219 MiFi device
Vodafone is a buzzword when it comes to the mobile broadband market. The R219 MiFi device has been designed for households that want to use mobile broadband as their primary source of internet.
- The device offers strong and reliable connectivity.
- It can connect up to 10 devices at a time without any fall in the internet speed
- It is designed to function as a normal broadband router
- Depending on the 4G signal in your area, you can get a maximum speed of 150 Mbps with R219.
- While R219 is a close competitor to Three’s Huawei E5783B, it is expensive compared to the latter
- Vodafone also offers a wide range of plans to go with the device
- Can connect multiple devices to the internet
- Amazing download speed
- Data plan choices are flexible
- Plans come with a short 12-months contract
- Slightly expensive
- 12 months contract with Zero upfront cost
- 4GB – £12/mo
- 10GB – £17/mo
- 30GB – £22/mo
- Unlimited – £28/mo
- 24 months contract with Zero upfront cost
- 4GB – £10/mo
- 10GB – £15/mo
- 30GB – £20/mo
- Unlimited – £26/mo
- Pay as you go plans with £35 upfront cost
- 4GB – £15/mo
- 10GB – £21/mo
- 30GB – £26/mo
- Unlimited – £32/mo
- Three 4G Hub
Technically, this is not a MiFi device. Still, it is a great device that offers a fast mobile broadband connection and is worth mentioning. This can be looked at as a 4G router.
- Though the device is not rechargeable, it can be used at places with a power supply as it is wireless and offers faster mobile broadband speeds.
- There are three plans to choose from for Three 4G Hub and all of them come with an unlimited data plan option.
- There are two upgraded versions of the devices- The 4G Hub Plus and the 5G Hub.
- The average download speed of 5G Hub is around 100 Mbps
- Wireless broadband on the go
- Affordable plans
- Faster internet
- Wider coverage
- Needs constant power supply to function
- For a 24 months contract with Zero upfront cost and unlimited data plan
- 4G Hub – £14 per month
- 4G Hub Plus – £17 per month
- 5G Hub – £30 per month
How does MiFi Works?
A MiFi or Mobile WiFi is a small portable device that functions as a wireless access point and provides a mobile hotspot for internet connectivity on multiple devices at once. The MiFi devices are thin and can be carried around in your pocket. Every time you need to set up an internet connection, you can simply take it out, connect it to a power source and you are good to go.
MiFi devices have a SIM card slot in them that needs to insert with a data-only 4G or 5G SIM card. It basically works as mobile broadband and allows you to connect to a 4G network similar to your mobile phone. There is no need for fixed-line broadband or landline connection at all. With the data-only 4G or 5G SIM card (MiFi SIM card) that comes with your Mobile WiFi device, you can only connect to the internet but cannot make any calls or send text messages as you would do with an ordinary SIM card.
MiFi devices need a constant power source to run. So, either it comes with a rechargeable battery or it needs to be hooked to the power plug all the time. With rechargeable batteries, the devices become really handy for traveling and using the internet or mobile broadband on the go.
The WiFi hotspot created by a Mobile WiFi device (MiFi device) is similar to what you get with a WiFi router. The moment the MiFi device is up and running, your other WiFi-enabled devices like your computers, tablets, or mobile phones can detect the network. All you need to do is browse for the available networks and select the one created by the MiFi device. Next, you can enter a security password (if asked for) and you are good to go. When the MiFi device arrives for the first time, there will be information in the box with network log-in details that allow to set up the device for the first time.
MiFi contracts explained: Can you pay as you go?
There are different varieties of mobile broadband plans compared to fixed-line broadband connections. These plans are comparatively flexible as well. So, Yes, you can pay for the service on a monthly basis under a “pay as you go” scheme.
Some providers in the UK offer MiFi devices and mobile broadband plans with a contract length of 24 months or 12 months. The longer the length of the contract, the lesser upfront cost for setup and activation.
If you opt for a “pay as you go” MiFi deal, you should be ready to pay an upfront fee that covers the delivery, cost of the device, and activation cost. But, if you want to commit to a longer-term contract like 18 months or 24 months, you do not need to pay these upfront charges. If you choose a one-month contract, the monthly cost of your MiFi package might get ridiculously high. So, to save money, you can go for the longer contractual way rather than a “pay as you go” plan.
Is MiFi as good as Wi-Fi?
If the 4G coverage in the area of residence is great, then MiFi mobile broadband connections can be really fast. In situations where the fixed-line home broadband connection is inherently slow, MiFi will perform better than WiFi and will offer faster download speeds.
But, you need to be sure that the 4G signal of a particular service provider is strong in the area where you plan to use the MiFi broadband. Else, you might get frustrated with the network outage and consistent slow speeds. You can use the network provider’s coverage map (available on their websites) to confirm the network strength at your location. This is a vital step before you make the switch.
Another thing to consider is the quality of the MiFi device. Some devices might not send out strong signals because of outdated hardware or poor built quality. So, even though the network coverage is decent at your address, your MiFi download speed will still be poor than a standard WiFi network. So, you need to check if your device is upgraded or one of the recent models.
Even if you can connect multiple devices to the hotspot created by the MiFi device, the signals are prone to interruption by walls, other electronic devices lying around the house. This decreases the range of access of the device significantly. To solve this issue, you can buy a flagship MiFi device that is capable of sending out strong WiFi signals. Vodafone R291 and Three 4G hub are some devices that are designed to function for home broadband networks.
How much MiFi data do I need?
Different service providers offer a different range of data packages for their MiFi bundle (device + SIM). So, you can get a mobile WiFi (MiFi) device with a minimum data cap of 5GB per month. This can go up all the way to unlimited and uncapped data per month.
- If your goal is to use MiFi broadband as a substitute for your older home broadband because your home broadband was not up for the task, you can opt for unlimited data mobile broadband plans. This will allow you to stream, download, and make video conferencing calls without any risk of data exhaustion. Since most people are working from their homes at the time of Covid 19, this seems like a legitimate option.
- If the size of your family is small and the internet usage is moderate, then you should get away with 50-100 GB of data per month. There is no need for an unlimited plan if there are no data-intensive tasks to carry on.
- If you wish to have a MiFi device as a backup plan or for using the internet on the go, then a monthly cap of 10 to 20 GB is enough for you. This will suffice for you to rescue you in times of need when standard WiFi is not available to you.
One might think that an unlimited plan for a MiFi broadband will be expensive. But, these days the costs have come down significantly. There are some awesome providers like Three that offer unlimited MiFi broadband for about £20 per month if you sign an 18 or 24 months contract.
4G MiFi vs 5G MiFi deals
In the UK right now, most of the MiFi devices come with a 4G mobile broadband plan. So, 4G network is the new normal and it has great coverage as well. The expansion is so great that it reaches the rural and remote areas of the country.
The maximum internet speed offered by 4G mobile broadband is up to 150 Mbps. But, this depends on the network and the signal strength at a particular location.
Having said so, O2 has come up with a 5G pocket hotspot device in 2021. They promise a mind-boggling maximum speed of 1.65 Gbps which is much faster than most of the fiber broadband connections available in the UK. They are basically MiFi devices, so, connecting to multiple devices is seamless and you wish to enjoy high-speed mobile broadband as your home network.
Though the speed offered by 5G is lucrative, the reach of 5G network is not great right now. The rollout is at its full speed but has reached only the major cities of the country. So, if you are not living in one of the major cities, it is wise for now to go for a MiFi device that comes with 4G network. With 4G, you will have to pay less and there is a wider range of plans to choose from. Also, as of now, 5G deals don’t offer unlimited data plans and the monthly cost is pretty high as well.
- What are the best MiFi providers?
These are the following mobile broadband service providers in the UK that offer the best MiFi deals.
- Three – Three is a trusted name in the field of mobile broadband. It offers a mobile broadband device called Huawei E5783B, that can be paired with different data plans with different contract lengths. Three has some of the cheapest data plans to offer, especially if you are looking for an unlimited data plan.
- Vodafone – Vodafone has brought their Mobile WiFi device in the market under the name R219. The quality of the device is great and it offers strong WiFi connectivity. Vodafone also offers a range of data plans that are flexible enough. The upfront cost and prices of deals are on the higher side compared to the Three.
- EE – EE sells a MiFi device called 4GEE WiFi Mini. It is a costly mobile broadband device and you need to sign a contract of 24 months to avoid high upfront charges. EE devices are worth considering as they offer one of the best network coverage in the UK and they are a company that solely focuses on wireless home broadband technology. So, the built quality of the device is unmatched and you can connect multiple devices at once without any loss of speed and stability of the internet. They have recently. introduced unlimited data plans with their mobile broadband plans
- O2 – This is the only company in the UK to offer both 4G and 5G mobile broadband devices. Both the devices are made by Huawei. The plans and devices from O2 are not cheap. But, they offer a great deal of flexibility with their plans and you can basically custom build your own plan by defining the length of the contract and the limit of your required data.
In terms of affordability, Three is the best option to go with when it comes to buying a MiFi device and mobile broadband plan. They offer great value for your money and the range of plans is great. The customer service is also highly appreciated. But, if you want a great MiFi device that doesn’t let you down while connecting several devices at once, you can opt for Vodafone and EE as well. If you want to try 5G then O2 is the company to go with.
How much does MiFi cost?
It is not wise to put an average price tag on the MiFi device. The cost of each MiFi deal changes with contract length and the data limit. This also changes with any promotional offers that are being offered by a particular company.
- For instance, with MiFi devices from Three, you just have to spend £11 per month for the first 6 months to get an unlimited data MiFi plan. After the first 6 months, the monthly charge increases to £22 per month on a 24-month contract. If you want to opt for the “pay as you go” scheme rather than committing to a lengthy contract, you will have to pay £24 per month for the same unlimited plan.
- Other broadband service providers will charge you higher than what Three offers. But to put an average amount, £20 to £25, you can get a MiFi deal with a large data cap.
Alternatives to MiFi devices
If you are hell-bent on using mobile broadband and MiFi deals are not working out for you, then there are a couple of alternatives for you to choose from.
- Dongles – Dongles are small USB devices that look like pen drives but carry a data-only SIM card in them. They can be plugged into computers or other devices that have a USB port and the user can access the internet after that. The drawback is that one dongle can provide an internet connection to one device only. Furthermore, you won’t be able to use it with your mobile or tablets as they don’t usually have a USB port.
- 4G and 5G routers – These are similar to normal fixed-line broadband routers. They are not portable as MiFi devices as they need to be plugged into a power source to work. They will allow you to connect multiple devices on a 4G or 5G mobile broadband network depending on the strength and type of signal available in your area. These devices are generally cheaper than MiFi devices and provide strong WiFi signals compared to them. They can be an alternative to fixed-line broadband if the latter one doesn’t perform optimally for you.